2 heads of endive
150g feta cheese
12 slices of Parma ham
1 large handful of washed rocket leaves
100ml olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Small handful of shredded basil leaves
South African Weisser Riesling (Rhine Riesling) will work well with this dish. Riesling has adapted well to South African’s soil and climate. This grape variety produces very full and flavourful wines which will develop well with bottle ageing. The wines have a honeyed spicy nose and a flowery sweetness on the palate.
Wine recommendations by Wines of South Africa
- Firstly quarter, and de-stone the nectarines, then heat up a griddle pan till very hot. When the griddle is hot enough sear the nectarines, this is to get good charred lines on them.
- Then trim the ends off the endive and break off the individual leaves, wash, drain and set aside.
- Take out the feta and crumble into large chunks and set aside.
- Then make the dressing by chopping the basil and mixing with the olive oil and lemon and season (lots of black pepper).
- Then you can make the salad by carefully arranging the different components, first the rocket and endive, then the Parma ham, nectarines and feta.
- Finish it off by drizzling over the dressing.