This fabulous bread and butter pudding is made with brioche or Italian Panettone with dark chocolate chips and South African pears for a delicious twist.
Preparation 20 minutes (plus 30 minutes soaking)
Cooking 35 minutes
50g butter, softened
5 slices brioche or Panettone (weighing about 250g in total)
2 South African pears, peeled, cored and sliced
50g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
(or use dark chocolate chips)
2 large eggs
250ml semi-skimmed milk
150ml single cream
30g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2tbsp caster sugar
50g dark chocolate drops
300ml semi-skimmed milk
|Nutritional values||Per 562g serving||Per 100g|
|of which saturates||15.5g||6.1g|
|of which sugars||28.8g||11.3g|
- Use a small knob of the butter to grease a 1.5 litre baking dish. Spread the remaining butter over the slices of brioche or Panettone. Cut into smaller pieces, then arrange in the dish with the pears. Sprinkle the chocolate chunks over the top.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, single cream, caster sugar and vanilla extract. Leave for a few minutes so that the sugar dissolves, then slowly pour into the dish.
- Cover the dish with cling film and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes. If you want to cook the pudding later, refrigerate until required.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Bake the pudding for 30-35 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes while making the sauce.
- Put all the ingredients for the chocolate sauce into a non-stick saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly with a small whisk until smooth and thickened. Serve with the pudding.
Cook’s tip: Serve with single cream or crème fraiche instead of chocolate sauce.