12 Asparagus spears (or an alternative)
1 Head radicchio
150g Washed rocket leaves
250g Blue cheese (Roquefort or Dolcelatte is also good)
25ml White balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
60ml Olive oil
Try this dish with a South African Viognier – Becoming increasingly fashionable internationally, this grape variety has been grown for centuries in the northern half of the Rhône valley in France. Viognier produces delicate complex wines with peach, apricot, honey and spice aromas that will match well to this dish.
Wine recommendations by Wines of South Africa
- Firstly trim the asparagus, then heat up a griddle pan, drizzle over a little oil and char grill the asparagus for 5-8 minutes until just cooked, then cool.
- Next make the dressing simply by mixing the ingredients together well.
- Make the final preparations by de-stoning and cutting the nectarines into quarters and then in half again.
- Cut the bottom off the radicchio, discard and break into separate leaves. Mix the leaves, with a little of the dressing and arrange onto four plates.
- Then arrange the asparagus and nectarine pieces on top and crumble over the cheese.
- Finally drizzle with a little extra dressing.