500g/18oz Plums (stoned & chopped)
500g/18oz Figs (chopped)
125g/4oz Caster sugar
1 Piece stem ginger (finely chopped)
2 Lemons (juice only)
150g/5oz Ready-made custard
500g/18oz Crème fraiche
Amaretti biscuits (to serve)
South African Weisser Riesling (Rhine Riesling) will work well with this dish. Riesling has adapted well to South African’s soil and climate. This grape variety produces very full and flavourful wines which will develop well with bottle ageing. The wines have a honeyed spicy nose and a flowery sweetness on the palate.
Wine recommendations by Wines of South Africa
- Place the plums, figs and sugar into a saucepan with the ginger and lemon juice. Bring to the boil, and to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the fruit (saving the syrup) and purée until smooth.
- Reheat the syrup and cook until it has reduced by half.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit purée.
- Combine the crème fraiche with the custard in a bowl, fold in the purée and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into dessert bowls, cover and chill if not needed immediately.
- Serve with Amaretti biscuits.