125g/4oz Butter (softened)
1tsp Vanilla extract
275g/10oz Soft brown sugar
3 Medium eggs
110g/4oz Plain flour (sifted)
110g/4oz Self-raising flour (sifted)
125ml/4fl oz Milk
50g/2oz Ground hazelnuts
6 Small round plums (halved and stones removed)
40g/1 ½ oz Dried cranberries
40g/1 ½ oz Toasted hazelnuts (chopped)
South African Weisser Riesling (Rhine Riesling) will work well with this dish. Riesling has adapted well to South African’s soil and climate. This grape variety produces very full and flavourful wines which will develop well with bottle ageing. The wines have a honeyed spicy nose and a flowery sweetness on the palate.
Wine recommendations by Wines of South Africa
- Preheat the oven 160°C/140°C fan/Gas mark 2-3.
- Grease a deep tin 30cm x 20cm/12in x 8in and line with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon in a large mixing bowl, then stir in the, eggs, flour, milk and vanilla extract, along with the ground hazelnuts.
- Spread the mixture into the baking tin. Place the plums on top and sprinkle with nuts and cranberries.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Ensure it is cooked thoroughly using a skewer then leave to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Using the greaseproof paper, lift the out of the tin and place on a cooling rack.
Serving suggestion; can either be eaten cold as a cake or eaten warm as a dessert, served with custard.